Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hello, Hello, How Does This Parenting Thing Work?!

Yep, everyone knows that my twins are my pride and joy. On any given day, I have a story to tell about something they said or the newest "cute" thing they've done. My life revolves highly around my family and I wouldn't have it any other way. So, what do I do when my "cute" 9 year olds push me to the limit and test me? I've seen hundreds of books written for the new parent, many of them I have in the lending library at my business Mother Nature's Belly, but not so many on the child who's not quite a teenager but not so much a baby anymore. What to do?

At home my boys will get right quick, when their dad or I give them the look. You know the look. It's the one your parents and grandparents gave you when you were acting up that said, "If you don't get right real quick, it's on!" I've been called old school a time or two. But my dilemna is how do I keep them on the "get right" path when mom and dad are away? They love to get loose when they think we are not looking and then play innocent when we find out about their antics. I think children have an internal gauge to cut up when they are outside of the house. I've seen, little "Nakia" and little "Malik" show their not so cute behinds in public!

So my husband and I highly value and utilize the rewards system. At what point, does that no longer have the desired effect? I tell you, I love my boys but some days I wonder, are they really acting like this?

Hello, Hello, how does this parenting thing work? Do you know?


No comments:

Post a Comment